Watch the segment “Hadrian’s Wall” and answer these questions:
- What was the problem foreseen by Hadrian? He may be unable to maintain his borders
- What problems were the soldiers facing in the Northern part of Britain? They were frozen in winter and there were barbarian incursions.
- What was Hadrian’s conclusion after visiting the front line? Hadrian realize that the soldiers did not works as mush as he wanted.
- Complete the following sentences:
Today Hadrian’s wall has been reduced to it’s a._________foundation_______
It once b._______towered_____15 feet high
…with c._______parapets______rising an additional 6 feet above that
a 9 feet d.____ditch_______was dug at its base
…forcing the potential invaders to e._30____ f._____foot___ climb
- What was the main problem during the construction of the wall, from an engineering point of view? how to get material to the construction site.
- How many men were needed to move heavy rocks to the construction site? 3 legions
- What was the purpose of the mile castles? they were guard post able to house 60 troops
- What buildings were found in each superfort? temple, hospital assembly hall, bath houses
- How long did it take to complete Hadrian’s barrier? 5 years